Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Smell Like Fall! (DIY SIMMER POT)



I don't know of a single person who doesn't like fall smells! (If you are one of those...go to another blog!) Pretty much any kind of autumn smell that you can think of, I like. So, naturally I've been doing the simmer pot trend for a few years now. Most of the ingredients I usually have on hand, besides oranges and apples...those don't last long in my house.

Now, if you are like me you have probably seen, searched, or even tried simmer pot recipes from the internet and, probably unlike me you've had great success. As for me, it's been a lot of trial and error so I'm finally going to break down the simmer pot tribulations so (hopefully) you don't have the smell of burning fruit throughout your home!



DIY FALL/AUTUMN SIMMER POT INSTRUCTIONS:

INGREDIENTS:
1-2 Oranges
1-2 Apples
Cinnamon Sticks
Cinnamon Powder
Whole Cloves
Nutmeg
Orange Peel
(optional: chamomile & echinacea purpurea (aka purple cone flower) herb)

I'm sure you are wondering why some of the following ingredients are on the list above. I will explain that shortly. But first, grab a big pot (or slow cooker as I did this go round).

For me, I've done & tried this fall simmer pot on the stove with a small pot, a medium pot and even a big pot. There are a few reasons I didn't like any of them:
1) it costs more for me to run my stove top than it does to run my slow cooker
2) the water evaporates much faster on the stove top
3) the chance of burning your concoction is way higher (done that...it stinks to high heaven...trust me!)

Of course, you can choose whichever way you want but I do recommend staying close by if you are using a stove top method!

Once you have your heater of choice, slice the orange(s) and apple(s). I only used one of each for mine which works great!

Once you have sliced everything, place into your pot.

Next dump, sprinkle, dust your extra ingredients into the pot.


I LOVE the smell of cinnamon so on top of the 6-8 cinnamon sticks I threw in the pot, I also sprinkled a bunch of cinnamon powder into the pot as well (I even added extra after the first hour). This part will be all up to you depending on which smells you like best! I also added orange peel to mine for extra oomph as well as nutmeg, ginger & chamomile flowers.

Chamomile?! I know, I know. It's strange but, chamomile flowers are known to boost happiness and calmness so why not throw that in there? (FYI: it doesn't change the smell of your mixture)


Also, if it's cold and flu season (which seems like every season is now!) you can throw in some Echinacea Purpurea herb which is good helping your body fight off colds and flu's. Again, won't change the smell of your pot but will release the natural goodness through your home.



I'm a firm believer in natural oils and herbs helping your body and spirit. You can 100% omit this BUT if you do care to try it, they can be found on Amazon!

Once you have everything that you want in your pot, add water.

Most posts I've seen say add water just until it's on top of the ingredients but let me tell ya....these suckers float! So nix that idea. Instead pour water until they are gently floating (you can always add more later if you want).

Final step, turn on your stove or like me your crock pot!

It takes about 20-30 minutes to really start smelling everything as they heat up but it is WELL worth the wait!

For crock pots: use the high setting without the lid.
(I tried "warm" and "low" to no avail. The smell wasn't strong at all)

For stove top: use medium to low/medium setting or you will be boiling and burning your fruit!

My crock pot concoction on High lasted 7 hours! (no extra water needed) But similar simmer pots on the stove lasted 2-3 hours before I had to add more water.

Depending on if you are using it just as a rainy day smell good or for a party, you can decide how long you would like to simmer it.



Sit back, read a good spooky book and enjoy the smells of the season!!!

*ADDED: If you would like to know how to make the book knife rack in the background, stay tuned!)

Happy Fall! Until next time,

{Sarah B}

No comments:

Post a Comment